Grief Support Through the Holiday Season
The Holiday Season for many people the most difficult time of the year. Memories of past celebrations with family members or friends who are no longer here can magnify feelings of loss, and you may want to avoid reminders of celebration and togetherness. As the holidays approach, it can be helpful to share your concerns, feelings and apprehensions with someone. Let people know what is difficult for you, and accept offers of help.
Whether you are in the midst of celebrating your own traditions with family and friends or surrounded by the festivities of others, your grief may be reappear as you are reminded of the person and how deeply the loss of that relationship has impacted you. This may be true for you even if the relationship was difficult or troublesome. If ever there was a time to treat yourself like a cherished friend, this is it. You may need to lower your own expectations as well as talk to others about what you need. If you cry, let that be okay. Allow yourself to experience any sadness that may come. Make room for your feelings, whatever they may be.
Tips for Coping with Special Days and Holidays
• Ask friends and family to support you in making plans that you can change according to your needs. You may need to accept or decline invitations on a ‘last minute’ basis.
• Continue traditions that you enjoy and leave out those that you don’t.
• If you have a faith community, use rituals that support you in your grief.
• Talk with other bereaved people, or with friends and family members who’ve experienced losses to find out how they get through these special days and holidays.
include the person in your thoughts, prayers or meditation.
• Celebrate a special day by taking time to do something in memory of the person who died.
• Remind yourself that it’s okay to laugh as well as cry.
• Look for ways to honor the person who died. Light a special candle; make a memorial planting in a garden; create a memorial space or scrapbook with photos and mementos; sponsor a memorial award or scholarship; make a donation to a meaningful charity
Recommended local resources & events to help support and encourage you this holiday season
Surviving The Holidays - Locations and Times.
Green Valley Community Church Surviving the Holidays
December 8, 2018 at 11:00 AM
Lakeside Church Surviving the Holidays
December 8, 2018 at 9:00 am
Lights of Life.
Burke's Junction, Cameron Park. December 17, 2018 from 3pm to 9 PM
Night of Remembrance
Green Valley Community Church. December 5, 2018 at 7 pm